Thursday, August 14, 2008

Testimony

I think it was Elder Packer who said, "A testimony is found in the bearing of it." So many times in my life I have found this to be true. I remember one time on my mission in Japan we were at a mission conference and my mission president realized that we were not getting many opportunities to bear our tesimonies because people just didn't want to listen. He said, "Today bear your testimony. I don't care if you bear it to a light post or to a dog, but take the opportunity to bear your testimony." That night I remember riding my bike home along this canal. Bats were dive bombing us as we rode and then and there I remembered what our president had said and I just started saying my testimony out loud. I spoke of the things that I knew and about what I was grateful for. As I began to testify, the spirit flooded my soul and testified TO ME that what I was saying was true. I remember tears falling down my face as I spoke to no one (except maybe the bats) about what I believed. When we take the time to testify of our beliefs - it not only helps others but it helps us.
So tonight I was talking to my neighbor about the church and her feelings. She has been meeting with the missionaries for some time. She is an amazing lady and has really felt the spirit when they come to visit her and her family, but still there is some confusion. As we were talking it lead to a chance for me to share my testimony with her. As I said, "I know that Joseph Smith was a prophet and the heavens aren't closed and families can be together forever. . . " I was overcome. Tears came to both of our eyes and we could feel the spirit so strong. I am so thankful for a loving Heavenly Father who doesn't leave us alone in this world to figure it all out. I am grateful that he pours down his spirit on us so we can KNOW his will for us and what is right. I am so thankful that when I take the opportunity to testify about what I believe that the Holy Ghost confirms it not only to others, but to me too.

1 comment:

Cheryl said...

What a good idea. I think I'll start trying that. I'm too chicken to get up in church or YW more than once a year. I'll start doing it with my kids and work from there. I'm glad you commented on my blog so I could see that you had one. You are always inspiring. The family would love to get an encore fireside from your CA trip by the way.