Sunday, August 3, 2008

Fasting



As members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, we fast for 2 meals the first Sunday of every month. We believe that fasting coupled with prayer is a powerful tool in communicating with our Heavenly Father. Many times in my life I have fasted and prayed together with other family members for the health of someone we loved or personally to receive answers to personal prayers and questions. Anyway, after our kids turn 8 and are baptized we have them fast one meal on that Sunday and pray for something that they are thinking about or for someone who may need help. This afternoon when Chandler was about to eat lunch I asked him what he was fasting for. He told me that he was fasting for his Aunt Dany. (She had been trying to get pregnant for about a year and half and she finally is!) I then asked him why he was fasting for her now? And he said, "I was fasting today mom that her baby would be ok and that she wouldn't lose it like Marie did." (His best friend's mom miscarried a while back). What a sweet, thoughtful boy. I was so impressed that he would think of that on his own and fast for that purpose. I am grateful for my membership in this church and how it teaches us to be thoughtful and selfless from the youngest ages. I love Chandler and am grateful for his pure little heart today.

No comments: